Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Life in Kimbe, Part I: Walking to Mass


Greetings to you from Kimbe, West New Britain, Papua New Guinea. Since my previous blog back in May, I have continued to remain busy with the many demands and activities of the school where I teach. 

I have come to the realization that teaching is a demanding profession, be it in the U.S. or in a foreign country, such as is the case here at Caritas Technical Secondary School (Kimbe).  The many demands, preparations, delivering of lessons, grading assignments/tests, extra-curricular activities, staff meetings, reports, etc. are all part of being a teacher.  Though I am teaching on the other side of the world and on a different hemisphere, it isn’t much different than in the USA.  Only the place, people and small details change. Sure gives me a sense of how we are truly ONE IN CHRIST! 

Every day that I spend here in PNG is another opportunity to discover more about the culture, language and customs here in Kimbe.  Because I live and work in the large, gated campus of Caritas, my life revolves around the activities and events of our school, and not so much on what goes on outside in the town of Kimbe.  I do venture out into the town to run errands and go shopping and now know my way around the town well.  Also, Sundays find me walking to early Mass (only 6:3O a.m. in English and 8:00 a.m. in Tok Pisin Masses are available here…none later in the day). 

The cathedral of the diocese is still not built and therefore Mass was held her at the Caritas gym until June.  Now the diocese rents space from the city and our Masses are held in a large tent adjacent to the soccer field.  One of my favorite things to witness and be a part of on Sundays is walking to and from Mass.  Seeing all the people walking and headed the same way really touches my heart and speaks to me of the great faith and love for the Church these people have.  They are true witness for me!  
Also, along the way, folks will greet me and often will chat as we walk together.  One Sunday, a young girl named Daisy, about 16 years old, walked up to me, greeted me and warned me of a truck coming behind me.  As we moved over to let the truck go by, I thanked her and thought she would continue walking ahead of me, but much to my surprise, she continued to walk with me.  We chatted along the way and I found out she is a 10th grader at the local public high school (Kimbe Secondary School).  She asked how the U.S. is and if I live near New York.  I shared with her that I come from Texas and that is very far from New York.  She then said she hopes one day to go visit New York because she sees it many times in movies. 

As we neared where I needed to cross the street go buy some things, I bid her farewell, but she said, “Oh no, Sister, I will come with you and help you.”  I really didn’t need her help but seeing her desire to accompany me, I thanked her and she went with me to the store.  I offered her a drink and some cookies and she was delighted.  As we left the store, she insisted on carrying the bag with my purchases.  So we continued and finally when we got to the Caritas gate, she gave me the bag, thanked me and said, “See you next Sunday.”  I assured her of my prayerful support as she continues her studies and will sit for her national exams on the same week as my students, and we parted ways. 

I was so touched with her kindness and willingness to help me out.  This is just one example of the kindness that folks here are always so willing to offer others.  I continue to pray for her and I am sure some Sunday in the near future we will see each other again. 



(Coming soon, Part II:  Technical Day & Sports Day)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas In Papua New Guinea

Towards the end of November, we had a special Christmas celebration before the girls left school,   Hamamas Krismas means Merry Christmas ...